In Summer 2019, Debrecen’s much-loved Nagyerdei Open Air Theatre presented a colorful new season of spectacular theatre, musical theatre and dance performances; classical, pop and jazz concerts, film screenings, as well as folklore presentations and entertaining family shows.
Between 1 May and 17 September 2019, the 1,017-capacity venue attracted over a record-breaking 30,000 visitors both from inland and abroad with more than 40 mainstage productions performed right in the the greenest heart – the so-called Great Forest area – of Debrecen, Hungary.
In its 25th season in a row, the Nagyerdei Open Air Theatre once again presented the truly best of what Hungarian entertainment currently has on offer, with packed houses guaranteed almost every evening.
Among others, the 2019 season’s programme included the following theatre performances:
- Zoltán Fábri – László Nádasy – Imre Sarkadi – Zsuzsa Vincze: MERRY-GO-ROUND – A Play in Two Acts (Hungarian National Theatre – Hungarian National Dance Ensemble, Budapest)
- John Kander – Fred Ebb – Bob Fosse: CHICAGO – A Musical in Two Acts (Vörösmarty Theatre, Székesfehérvár)
- Jeanie Linders: MENOPAUSE THE MUSICAL – A Musical in Two Acts (Játékszín Theatre, Budapest)
- Ferenc Molnár: THE PLAY’S THE THING – A Play in Two Acts (Víg Theatre, Budapest)
- Francis Veber: THE CLOSET – A Comedy in Two Acts (Thália Theatre, Budapest)
- Ray Cooney – John Chapman: NOT NOW, DARLING – A Comedy in Two Acts (Madách Theatre, Budapest)
- Georges Feydeau: A FLEA IN HER EAR – A Comedy in Two Acts (Thália Theatre, Budapest)
- László Velekei: THE SCARLET LETTER (Ballet Company of Győr)
- Peter Quilter: GLORIOUS! – A Play in Two Acts (Játékszín Theatre, Budapest)
- Jerry Herman – Harvey Fierstein: LA CAGE AUX FOLLES – A Musical in Two Acts (Kultúrbrigád – Átrium Theatre, Budapest)
- Zsigmond Móricz – Tibor Kocsák – Tibor Miklós: BE FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH! – A Symphonic Concert Theatre Version of the Musical in Two Acts (Nagyerdei Open Air Theatre – Csokonai Theatre, Debrecen)
- Ferenc Molnár – László Dés – Krisztián Grecsó – Péter Geszti: THE PAUL STREET BOYS – A Musical in Two Acts (Pannon Castle Theatre, Veszprém)
- SUMMER CABARET SHOW (L’art pour l’art Company, Budapest)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Lorenzo Da Ponte: THE MARRIAGE OF FIGARO (Csokonai Theatre, Debrecen – Co-Opera, Budapest)
We very much look forward to welcoming You and your guests again at our next, 2019 season; until then, please take a look at our official 2019 aftermovie below to catch a glimpse of the Nagyerdei Open Air Theatre’s unimitably beautiful and vibrant atmosphere.
Főnix Rendezvényszervező Közhasznú Nonprofit Kft.